Certification for Bank Auditors (CBA)
What is Certification for Bank Auditors (CBA)?
The Certification for Bank Auditors (CBA) is a qualification intended for bankers who aspire to attain further standing and authority in internal audit.
The CBA curriculum has been designed to align itself with the current body of knowledge and deploys an integrated but adaptable framework for internal auditing, providing greater credibility to the present content of audit methodology with an emphasis on IT audit.
The current CBA is an enhancement of the AICB’s Certificate in Internal Auditing for Financial Institutions (CIAFIN).
In order to enrol for this qualification, an individual is required to become an Affiliate Member of AICB.
The Certification for Bank Auditors (CBA) qualifications will be restructured in 2021. Please click here for more details on the updated CBA structure.
CBA Module 1 – Internal Auditing for Banking: Concepts, Frameworks and Principles
Module 1 has a comprehensive syllabus to set the foundation framework to help new internal auditors in financial institutions to discharge their responsibilities more effectively. This module focuses on audit in banking institutions. The following areas have also been incorporated in this module:
- IIA’s International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF);
- IIA’s International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing;
- COSO Internal Control – Integrated Framework (2013);
- COSO Enterprise Risk management (2004);
- Basel II and Basel III; and
- Malaysian Central Bank Guidance
CBA Module 2 – Internal Auditing for Banking: Applications of Concepts, Frameworks and Principles
Module 2 expands further into the professional practices of an internal audit function in banks. It covers application of the core framework and methodology in Module 1 to risk areas such as Credit, Treasury, IT, Ethics, Liquidity, Strategy, Capital Adequacy and Compliance. A comprehensive chapter on information technology risks and audit gives a view of the risks and cyber threats to banks and the internal controls that need to be in place against such risks.
The Certification for Bank Auditors (CBA) qualifications will be restructured in 2021. The current two modules and examinations each of the CBA will be condensed into one module, with a single examination structure. Kindly note that the closing date for CBA applications under the current structure will be on 30 November 2020. Beginning 1 December 2020, all new CBA applications will the condensed structure. Please click here for more details on the condensed CBA structure.
|Level||2019 Price (RM)
(Inclusive of 6% Service Tax)
|Exam Re-sit Fee (RM)
(Inclusive of 6% Service Tax)
|Module 1||CBA Module 1 – Internal Auditing in Banking: Concepts, Frameworks and Principles||1,219||265|
|Module 2||CBA Module 2 – Internal Auditing in Banking: Applications of Concepts, Frameworks and Principles||1,219||265|
ENROLMENT & EXEMPTION
Please click here for more details on the condensed CBA structure.
a) Standard Route
(Enrolment into Module 1 of CBA)
Candidates must have completed and attained one of the following qualifications/criteria:
- Degree holder; or
- Certificate or Diploma holder with three (3) years of audit or banking experience; or
- SPM or equivalent qualification with six (6) years of audit or banking experience.
b) Accelerated Route
(Direct enrolment into Module 2 of CBA)
A pass in Module 1 is a pre-requisite to Module 2. Candidates must have completed and attained one of the following qualifications:
- Completed CIAFIN; or
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or equivalent certification; or
- Professional accounting qualifications which are recognised by the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) with three (3) years of banking audit experience
When applying to enrol for the CBA qualification via the Applicant Portal, kindly upload the relevant qualification certificate for us to process the exemption.
- All applications for enrolment or exemption will be processed in accordance with the requirements set out in the regulations.
- Applications will be processed upon receipt of full documentations as stated in the Documentation section.
- Approval for enrolment or exemption will be granted based on the information/documents submitted and applicants may be contacted in case additional information is required.
- Applicants will be informed of the Institute’s decisions within 10 working days from date of application (upon receipt of full and complete documentation) for qualifications and experience already assessed.
- Where the applicant’s qualifications have not been previously assessed by the Institute, the processing time will be longer.
- Candidates will be informed in writing of the Institute’s decision via email.
|Assessment Structure||CBA Module 1 – 100 independent multiple-choice questions (MCQs) in 2.5 hours|
|CBA Module 2 – 80 MCQs of which 60 are independent MCQs and 20 are case-based MCQs in 3 hours|
|Grading||Pass Grade: 60% – 79%
Distinction Grade: 80% – 100%
|Examination Frequency||April, July, November|
|Examination Type||Online examination|
QUALIFICATION ENROLMENT & EXAMINATION SCHEDULE FOR 2020
CERTIFICATION FOR BANK AUDITORS (CBA)
(RESCHEDULED FROM APRIL 2020)
(RESCHEDULED FROM JULY/AUGUST 2020)
|Application Submission Closing Date for New Applicant||1 June 2020
|29 June 2020
|3 August 2020
|Exam Registration and Payment Closing Date / L & D Approval Sponsorship Closing Date for New Applicant||29 June 2020
|27 July 2020
|1 September 2020
|Workshop Dates at ABS||
For the workshop dates, please refer to Asian Banking School website at https://www.asianbankingschool.com/
|Online Exam Dates||1 to 30 September 2020||1 to 31 October 2020||1 to 30 November 2020|
|Exam Result Release Date||16 October 2020
|30 November 2020
|15 January 2021
- Training workshops for AICB qualifications are conducted by Asian Banking School (ABS). Candidates are required to check ABS’ website : www.asianbankingschool.com for the latest workshop dates.
- AICB reserves the right to cancel, suspend, interrupt or reschedule any examination to another date and will not be liable for any claims, actions, costs, charges, expenses, damages, loss and liability due to the cancellation/deferment of these examinations.
- Please adhere to the above closing dates, otherwise AICB will not be responsible for any delay in the enrolment or registration.
Note : The examination date displayed in the Member Portal is for registration purposes only. The online examination will be carried out for a period of one month (24 hours a day, 7 days a week, subject to availability) in Pearson VUE. Candidate can book an exam session in Pearson VUE on a date and time within the examination period stated in the schedule above.
The applications submitted will only be processed upon receipt of the full documentations. Candidates who submit incomplete applications (i.e. incomplete details or incomplete supporting documents) will be given five working days to provide the required information and/or documentation. If the candidate fails to submit the required information or complete set of relevant supporting documents within the five working days, the application will not be processed.
Below is the list of documents that are required for the qualification.
|Qualification||Standard Route||Accelerated Route|
|Certification for Bank Auditors||
- Qualification certificates/transcripts submitted must be certified true copy by one of the following:
- University Official; OR
- Notary Public; OR
- Commissioner for Oaths; OR
- Officer of the employing organization; OR
- Such other persons or agents as may be approved by Institute.
- The signatory must sign and date the document(s) and provide the following details:
- Contact Number:
- If the documents are not in English or Bahasa Malaysia, they must be accompanied by translation of the documents which is done by a certified translator. The credentials and contact information of the certified translator must be stated.
- Qualifications submitted for enrolment as a candidate for a qualification or for exemption must be awarded by universities/higher education institutions recognised by the awarding country’s Ministry of Higher Education or equivalent authority or the National Qualification Accreditation Agencies.
- Malaysian qualifications should be listed in the Malaysian Qualifications Register or in Finance Accreditation Agency (FAA) website.
- AICB reserves the right to contact the awarding institute for verification.
Updated Certification for Bank Auditors
The current Certification for Bank Auditors (CBA) modules will be condensed into a “one module, one examination” structure effective from the May 2021 examination session.
The diagramme below illustrates the updates:
|Current Format||2 modules, 2 exams|
|Updated Format||1 module, 1 exam
(syllabus coverage from current Module 1 & Module 2)
Pass Mark: 60%
A candidate must pass the Updated CBA module within 1 year.
|Fee||Current CBA||Updated CBA|
|New registration||RM1,219 per module||RM2,438|
|Exam re-sit||RM265 per examination||RM530|
*Fees are inclusive of 6% SST.
Transition Pathway for Existing Candidates
|Scenario||Transition Pathway||NEXT STEP|
|Completed 0 modules
Convert to Updated CBA
Continue with current CBA and complete the 2 modules within the transition period
Continue with the current qualification
|Completed Module 1
Exempted from Module 1
|Complete Module 2 of current CBA within the transition period||Continue with the current qualification|
The table below summarises the key dates for the Updated CBA:
|Last intake for new CBA candidates||March 2021 examination|
|Closing for new CBA applications||30 November 2020|
|Closing for CBA examination registrations||30 December 2020|
|Transition period to complete CBA||September 2020 examination – November 2021 examination|
|Last CBA examination sitting for existing candidates||November 2021 examination|
|Updated CBA first intake||May 2021 examination|
|Updated CBA enrolment opens||1 December 2020|